Teachers use The Elementals to promote social and emotional development through reflection and discussion with students, and build healthy relationships along the way.
Everyone has adapted to not using some of the Elementals. Teachers can use the cards and the Companion Guide to spark an intriguing discussion:
- Which ones have you gotten used to not using?
- What would be the value to you if you practiced those?
- How would you practice them?
In just a few minutes you can:
- Give students a chance to identify personally relevant areas of themselves they are ‘missing’ and would like to reclaim
- Prompt meaningful discussion that opens doors to relationship-building, self-expression, and student agency
- Watch students generate meaningful action goals that have them engaging in the world.
The easy-to-use Teacher Companion Guide provides further ideas, discussion questions, and worksheets. The use of the Elementals ignites actions that build self-agency and deepens essential social and emotional skills.
Curious about how we got to this idea? Check out this short Prezi.